Mall Crawler

• NEOW Supporter
  • Pip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:Expedition Travel/Overlanding
    Boston Boys And Girls Clubs
    Fishing,Camping,hiking
    Wheeling/Wrenching
  • Rig:Locked, Lifted,Loaded and Leather LX450 EXPO style / 89 Jeep Wrangler/350v8/8.8/37's

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:00 PM

So I like camping alot, I love the outdoors, love the old campfire, the stories and the memories made doing so. I love the road trips getting to the campsite and just traveling in general. The huge pain in the bum is packing, pack the gear, pack the clothes, pack the food, if theres wheeling involved spare parts and more gear. Often times I would find myself unpacking just to head out the next weekend and do all the packing over again. Not to mention traveling with wifey and packing the dog in the cherokee was getting cramped.
So the wheels started turning and I thought about a small pop up, could store some gear in it. Maybe even throw bikes or the kayaks on the roof. Something I could do some long range travel with, take that trip to Eagle Lake up in Maine, maybe go further north up to Nova Scotia and travel the Cabot trail...who knows maybe someday the Labrador Highway.
After a little convo with wifey, Brianna shared some of her experiences with her family traveling across the country with one in tow. Blow outs often at highway speeds and mold issues quickly squashed that idea. Plus I wanted something that I could do a little offroad exploring with and something that wouldn't fall apart.
I started exploring the options of strengthening the frame and axle of a pop up and came across the ExpeditionPortal. What a great site for camping, fourwheeling and expedition outfitting. I quickly was hooked.
I scratched the idea of a pop up and quickly liked the looks of a 1/4 ton military trailer. I could throw a lid on and find a roof top tent to mount on it I would be good to roll.
Found an old m416 on craigslist after months of searching online for a few hundred buck delivered to my door. It was still in camo with little rust and looked similar to this.
Posted Image
After some grinding, some sanding a new set of shocks and some herculiner I had a decent foundation for a build. I had some plywood around the house, some 2x4,screws and foam gasket window sealer. I through a lid together pretty quickly for no money spent. I hit the junkyard, found some lift struts from a cherokee and a kia mini van and I had a lid that took no effort to lift and would stay open on it's own. I also found a roof rack with a yakima rack on it from the junk yard and was able to lag in racks to my lid on the m416. After a few months I found a roof top tent as well and I was super excited about the end result. I felt the lid could be made of metal in the future and sured up so things would be more secure. Some pictures below.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 rain76king

rain76king

Mall Crawler

• NEOW Supporter
  • Pip
  • 519 posts
    Fishing,Camping,hiking
    Wheeling/Wrenching
  • Rig:Locked, Lifted,Loaded and Leather LX450 EXPO style / 89 Jeep Wrangler/350v8/8.8/37's

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:10 PM

This worked great, towing was a little tough on the xj with stock gearing and 31's and 260+k. Overall it made camping easy although packing was still a little tight, though this thing shined offroad.
I still wanted something a little bigger, something that had room for me to run 12volt,some water storage.maybe a hot water heater and a little more gear.
Per chance one day I was looking on craigslist and found an interesting title "African Bundu Safari Trailer" but with no picture. I decided to google the image to see what it looked like and I found pictures of the exact one for sale on craigslist but it was posted on expeditionportal.com and on ih8mud.com by a member. I quickly called, checked it out and it was mine for a small fee. The story goes that a couple from South Africa moved here to the states, they imported it from Capetown South Africa to the US. They used it here little, and ended up splitting up after awhile. He moved back to Africa and left the trailer behind due to the costs of importing it back to his country. It sat out in a backyard for quite sometime and the ex decided to get rid of it. It was pretty rusted but way cool and came with the original roof top tent as well that needs some cleaning and attention.
The next day got a phone call from the seller letting me know that there were a few things that came with the trailer that was left in the garage. I got all the trailer paperwork, with all the specs and parts used. All of it's importation paperwork along with the trailers title. A cargo bag that sits in the rack behind the tent along with the biggest score. A Engel MT45 12 volt fridge. These things are top quality and big bucks! I had just got a ton of expo gear for such a small cost I can't even post it and feel good about it! :up:
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 rain76king

rain76king

Mall Crawler

• NEOW Supporter
  • Pip
  • 519 posts
    Fishing,Camping,hiking
    Wheeling/Wrenching

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:17 PM

The trailer was just what I was looking for. there would be alot of work involved in cleaning it up though, lots of nights grinding and sanding.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 rain76king

rain76king

Mall Crawler

• NEOW Supporter
  • Pip
  • 519 posts
    Fishing,Camping,hiking
    Wheeling/Wrenching

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:33 PM

It took me a few weekends and a couple of weeknights after work. I grinded it down and took it to bare metal. Seems that with the angle it was parked at and the lid not securely clamped down water seeped in and sat for quite some time in the bed of the trailer. Also the amount of rust on the topside of the lid was due to leaves sitting under the rack for a long time soaking up water and snow over the years. Luckily though none of it was bad enough to rust through or anything. I used some rust converter, a little por 15 and herculiner and got the bed in good shape. primed and spraybombed it....I thought of fancy paint jobs but this is a camping/wheeling trailer that I want to be able to touch up myself. A few holes drilled, a few bolts and I had my RTT(roof top tent) mounted securely to the rack.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I even upgraded the tow rig to a 97lx450 with lockers front and rear. Rebuilt the front and rear axles, all new brakes, 4 inch old man emu lift. 315/75/r16's bfg mud terrains km2s. ARB bullbar and warn xd9000 winch. The lexus tows it well but with the big tires, and towing add in the highway hills I'll be doing a regear soon.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 CJKarl

CJKarl

rock star

• NEOW Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,009 posts
  • Interests:dfrink women
  • Rig:83 CJ Wheeled like a goat...Drove like a sponge

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:05 AM

Excellent write up .

#6 ozzysjeep

ozzysjeep

Pebble Pounder

• NEOW Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 2,149 posts
  • Interests:poontang
  • Rig:02 TJ

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:26 AM

Nice custom fabbing.

#7 EMCOM Jeep

EMCOM Jeep

Mall Crawler

• NEOW Supporter
  • Pip
  • 894 posts
  • Rig:08 JKU

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:06 PM

nice job!!!

#8 jrtjk

jrtjk

Mall Crawler

• NEOW Supporter
  • Pip
  • 731 posts
  • Rig:99 XJ & 85 CJ7

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:20 PM

Bobbo, I'm envious! Nice rig & camper.

I'll be calling you soon asking advice on campers.

#9 xjeepinhamster

xjeepinhamster

Carpal

• NEOW Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,078 posts
  • Interests:Your Mom.

Oh, and your sister.

• Rig:90 YJ, 83 K20, 08 Kawasaki Brute Force

Posted 17 July 2010 - 07:30 AM

Very nice setup, rig and trailers. i was looking at the mil trailer for sale and remembered the newer trailer you bought but never read all the details in here.

#10 rain76king

rain76king

Mall Crawler

• NEOW Supporter
  • Pip
  • 519 posts
    Fishing,Camping,hiking
    Wheeling/Wrenching

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:29 PM

Thanks guys, I have used it alot this summer and fall. I like everything about it, it makes camping amazingly easy. I used it on a 11 day trip recently and it's great to be off the ground. I recently bought a zodi tent heater and am planning on camping late,late into the season!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users