#1 NHScrambler

NHScrambler

Pebble Pounder

• NEOW Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Rig:YJ/CJ/TJ/XJ/Waggy thing, 81 Scrambler, 56 Willys Wagon

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:32 AM

I picked up a trailer from my buddy last year. It used to be a large camper but another one of my buddies striped it and cut it down to be a large ATV trailer. When I got it from my buddy last year it was registered but he lost the registration papers for it so I just used it with his plate for the remainder of the year. Now it is time to re-register it and I have no paperwork.
How do you go about registering a home made trailer in NH?

#2 Treasurer

Treasurer

Pebble Pounder

• NEOW Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 1,619 posts
  • Rig:2001 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:18 PM

I assume it has a VIN from the previous owner. The town will be looking for the last registration in order to do the transfer of ownership. Since you do not have this you will have to get a VIN check done by the local police. You go to the town hall and get the form. Call the police and have them look at the trailer. I just had this done with a free XJ that I got that had no registration paper. All the cop asked was is it stolen. We said no and he did not even run the VIN.

#3 NHScrambler

NHScrambler

Pebble Pounder

• NEOW Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:27 PM

I assume it has a VIN from the previous owner. The town will be looking for the last registration in order to do the transfer of ownership. Since you do not have this you will have to get a VIN check done by the local police. You go to the town hall and get the form. Call the police and have them look at the trailer. I just had this done with a free XJ that I got that had no registration paper. All the cop asked was is it stolen. We said no and he did not even run the VIN.

I am pretty sure the same rules do not apply to homemade utility trailers. I am 100% sure it has no VIN number.

#4 KAZU

KAZU

Rock Roller

• NEOW Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,558 posts
  • Interests:Kicking bum and taking names.
  • Rig:YJ

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:08 PM

You have to get a VIN assigned to it by the state, which is a type of inspection and registration process. If the tow weight is over 3000lbs it must be done by the state if it is under then the town can do it. Once you have a VIN then you can go to the town and register it. Call the town clerk and they will give you step by step instructions.

#5 Treasurer

Treasurer

Pebble Pounder

• NEOW Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 1,619 posts
  • Rig:2001 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:09 PM

The same rules apply now. I tried to register a trailer recently without a VIN and I was told that I had to have a cop look at the trailer and sign off on the form before a VIN would be issued to me. In the old days you just went to the town hall and said I have a homemade trailer with no VIN and they just took your word and gave you one. All trailers in NH need a VIN number. They are just checking that it is not stolen. The car trailer I have now is a manufactured one. It came with a VIN and title from MA. This trailer I just registered at city hall. I might be wrong but they would not let me register a trailer without a VIN.

#6 NHScrambler

NHScrambler

Pebble Pounder

• NEOW Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for the heads up, I was unaware of the law change. I will have to contact my buddy and see if he can get the VIN# that the trailer was given from the town hall.

#7 XfaCtoR

XfaCtoR

n00b

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:wheelin, beachin and muddin
  • Rig:02 TJ

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:13 AM

its a proses to say the least..i went though it all when i was going to build a trailer.
if you tell the reg that the trailer has a gvw of 3500 of less then you wouldnt need to have a vin for it. just a bill of sale.
anything over that they would want a complete price sheet saying how much it cost to build so that youll be taxed accordingly.
if i was you id just reg. it as a 3500 lbs utility trailer. the only thing is that if the trailer has tandom axles you would have a hard time telling the cop that pulls you over that your within the weight limit

#8 twdjeepgod

twdjeepgod

Mall Crawler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 628 posts
  • Interests:Buildin' Jeeps, houses ( my job) and other odds and ends

"I may be arrogant but i don't talk sh*#"
  • Rig:rocked, big blocked, tj

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:26 AM

its a proses to say the least..i went though it all when i was going to build a trailer.
if you tell the reg that the trailer has a gvw of 3500 of less then you wouldnt need to have a vin for it. just a bill of sale.
anything over that they would want a complete price sheet saying how much it cost to build so that youll be taxed accordingly.
if i was you id just reg. it as a 3500 lbs utility trailer. the only thing is that if the trailer has tandom axles you would have a hard time telling the cop that pulls you over that your within the weight limit

yeah thats a good idea :banghead:

#9 jrtjk

jrtjk

Mall Crawler

• NEOW Supporter
  • Pip
  • 731 posts
  • Rig:99 XJ & 85 CJ7

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:15 PM

You may have a different experience because you're in NH, but when I went to register mine in MA, I stopped by my local insurance rep and they had the appropriate paper work there to fill out, they signed some stuff, and the rest was done at the RMV.

It is a pain though, goodluck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users