Photo
- - - - -

Factory 14 bolt disc fit older 14 bolt drum?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SKEETER

SKEETER

Rock Roller

• NEOW Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
  • Rig:2004 LJ

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:15 PM

I have older 14 bolt full floater cab and chassis axle with drum brakes. Will the factory newer 14 bolt disc brakes fit?

#2 Randi

Randi

Spagnum Moss

• NEOW Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,261 posts
  • Interests:Courtroom Stenography, and Electronic Surveillance. Homoerotic Psychosexual Obama-Phobia
  • Rig:'05 GMC 2500HD 4x4

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

My seat if the pants answer is NO not without modifications.
But, I did this with newer stuff and can;t for the life of me remember what I used.
I think it was one ton disks, and calipers, and some weld on caliper brackets.

Edited by Randi, 11 September 2012 - 04:20 PM.

#3 Nason

Nason

PHP Gawd

• NEOW Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,918 posts
  • Rig:95 YJ

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:19 PM

Late model GM 10 bolts with rear disc brakes and integrated parking brakes have the same axle housing flange bolt pattern as 14 bolts going back to '73. The issue you will run into is the offset of the axle shaft /hub flange and the depth relative to the brake rotor (with parking brake) and the ability to find a rotor to clear a full-floating hub (newer 14 bolts are AAM and probably a bit different).

#4 SKEETER

SKEETER

Rock Roller

• NEOW Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
  • Rig:2004 LJ

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:58 PM

I have a set of full floater rear d60 factory disc brakes including a chunk of axle tube. Any idea if these cross over on the old 14b? I've searched the net but anytime I put 14 bolt in I get bill vista 14 bolt bible referenced everywhere. I need to keep parking brake and not interested in eldorado calipers.

#5 Randi

Randi

Spagnum Moss

• NEOW Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,261 posts
  • Interests:Courtroom Stenography, and Electronic Surveillance. Homoerotic Psychosexual Obama-Phobia
  • Rig:'05 GMC 2500HD 4x4

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:06 PM

One thing to consider is the lug studs you will need to mount whatever rotor you end up using on whatever axle flange.
This is a PITA.

You can use napa parts online to get dimensions of rotors and such.
example rotor form a 2001 gmc 3500
http://www.napaonlin...6992_0284388191
Center hole diameters, then look up the studs, see if they will fit whatever axle you are using and this rotor....

#6 Nason

Nason

PHP Gawd

• NEOW Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,918 posts
  • Rig:95 YJ

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:41 PM

I have a set of full floater rear d60 factory disc brakes including a chunk of axle tube. Any idea if these cross over on the old 14b? I've searched the net but anytime I put 14 bolt in I get bill vista 14 bolt bible referenced everywhere. I need to keep parking brake and not interested in eldorado calipers.

D60s were manufactured for many different uses. For example D60 FF from Ford Vans (8x6.5) with factory disc brakes use GM 10 bolt disk brake dust shields and caliper mounts.

The only way to tell is to unbolt the D60 stuiff and try it out.

#7 Matt Blain

Matt Blain

Mall Crawler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 807 posts
  • Rig:1999 Jeep Wrangler

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:06 PM

I found it was easier/cheaper to pick up a newer 14 bolt with all the factory stuff still on it. If you want to change to flange that is on the axle that the caliper brackets bolt to, you can definitely make them work. There was a company that was making an adapter bracket to bolt the newer brakes to the old style 14 bolt axle flanges, but they cost more than a whole axle last I checked ~$350 iirc vs $300 for a whole newer 10.5 14 bolt that all the guts swap over to. If you already have the axle setup and in your rig, it might be worth the work of getting the brake flange off the tube you've got and then install your hubs/rotors (newer disc rotors don't press on with the studs, they mount from the front of the hub) with the backing plate and newer brake flange bolted up to the calipers, line it up and weld it in place. You could also take dimensions off the newer brake flange and cut a new one out to weld to the axle. The old style 14 bolts have a square bolt pattern on that brake flange, and the newer 14 bolt/D60s have a larger flange with either a square pattern or trapezoid bolt pattern.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users