#1 CPOM

CPOM

Pebble Pounder

• NEOW Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Rig:92 Isuzu Pickup

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:43 PM

My chainsaw doesn't appear to be oiling.

When I got it (used), I was able to do the oiler test (pointing the chain at a log and reving the engine to see the oil stream). Then one day a few weeks later it just stopped oiling.

I broke down the assembly and it's a few parts: crankshaft oiler gear, oiler pump, aluminum housing, and rubber tube. All of these parts appear to be in great shape. No stripped gears.

The bar itself is clean and the oil hole is not plugged.

I see what appears to be a bronze or brass screen which I'm guessing is the vent to let air into the housing. This is clean.

If I start up the motor with no bar or chain I get a tiny flow of drops. If it was working, wouldn't quite a bit spray out or a stream?

With the bar on, I see oil pooling in the groove the chain rides on, which looks good, however when I install the chain I don't get much if any oiling happening.

Is there anything else I can check?

With the oil pump assembly removed (including rubber tube), and the saw sitting on the bench, oil should pour out right? It pours out on its side, but not when sitting "upright".

The resivoir appears clean, but maybe there's a clog?

Any other tips? Does it need to be primed or will gravity self-prime it? Is the cap vented?

This is a non-adjustable oiler.

Edited by CPOM, 06 July 2012 - 08:46 PM.

#2 CJKarl

CJKarl

rock star

• NEOW Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,879 posts
  • Interests:dfrink women
  • Rig:83 CJ Wheeled like a goat...Drove like a sponge

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

Ask TJ

#3 mytoyz

mytoyz

Rock Roller

• NEOW Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts
  • Interests:building and fixing stuff with my kids, outdoors, motorsports of all kinds... If it has a motor, I probabally think its cool.
  • Rig:none rigth now

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:22 PM

my 445 oiler works wether the saw is runnig or not, so does my buddies witht he same saw. go figure.

#4 TJ

TJ

Rock Roller

• NEOW Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,049 posts
  • Rig:91yj 44/14bolt /300/37s

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:48 PM

I don't know much about those little saws, :darek2: apparently you can plug up the oiler though I've never seen it happen. I have trouble with the bar once in a while, I plug it up with saw dust. I'm sure there is an online chat forum about this somewhere

#5 mike_belben

mike_belben

Carpal

• NEOW Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,238 posts
  • Rig:glog.glog.glog.glog.glog

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:54 AM

is there a pickup tube and filter inside the oil tank? pretty sure all my saws have that. does your oiler use a plunger and o-ring to pump oil whenever a cam lobe comes around, or is a gear meshing pump?

i ground down a coat hanger to clean the bar groove all the way down and it works great. there are two oil holes on the bar, one on each side. make sure both are cleared out.

are you running a really long chain? a non-adjustable oiler on a long chain may not have enough oil flow to fling.

#6 Jon W

Jon W

Rock Roller

• NEOW Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • Rig:'98 XJ

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:20 AM

I have a Husqvarna 350... I had a problem with the oiler which sounds similar - the oiler was working initially, but I wasn't getting oil on the bar / chain after a few weeks.

Try checking the alignment of the oil outlet groove on the side of the saw body with the bar's oil inlet holes when you've got the saw loosely assembled (e.g. install the bar with a couple of the nuts hand tight, but leave the side cover plate off).

My issue was the bar I've got has an oil inlet hole on only one side and when they installed bar in the saw they didn't have the inlet on the bar aligned right with the outlet groove on the saw body. If the oil inlet on the bar doesn't line up with the groove you don't get consistent oil to the chain, but it will sometimes "work" for a little bit because with a new chain (which hasn't stretched) the groove gets aligned so it will dump oil directly onto the teeth, which will make you think it is working. As you stretch the chain (and adjust the bar) you progressively cover off the end of the groove, so less / no oil gets onto the chain. I also noticed (when it wasn't setup right) I'd get a lot of oil dripping from the bottom of the saw, but not on the chain/bar.

The fix was pretty simple, flip the bar over (on my saw the HUSQVARNA logo on the bar is upside down when installed) and reinstall it, the bar's oil inlet aligned with the saw's oil outlet groove, adjust the flow rate screw, and my chain got plenty of oil... I'm not sure this would apply for you or not. My Dad bought a 450 (or 455, can't remember) last year and I checked his bar and it looked like there were oil inlets on both sides of the bar / was symmetric...

If I want to flip my bar over the other way I'd have to drill another hole in it to let the oil in.

Good luck.

JW

#7 CPOM

CPOM

Pebble Pounder

• NEOW Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Rig:92 Isuzu Pickup

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:59 PM

Thanks for the tips I will check these out.

The pump is basically a solid bar spun by a worm gear, with a flat spot that scoops up oil and forces it out a tube.

I believe it's a stock 16" bar.

The possibility of the oil hole in the bar not lined up due to a stretched chain sounds like it could be it.

I do have oil holes on both sides and they're clean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users